Sunday, November 15, 2009

Marketing the Kindle

I am a big fan of Amazon’s Kindle. And I definitely believe that the future of ePublishing is a bright and interesting one. Lately I am trying to conceptualize the first relevant Kindle marketing application for some of our clients but this initiative will be addressed in another post. This post describes an interesting encounter I had this week.

On a flight back from New York on Tuesday this week I was sitting next to a well dressed business person. We started talking; he was clearly an articulate and smart professional, working for a large consulting company. We discussed all the benefits of traveling with a Kindle, the version differences between the Kindle 1.0 and 2.0, and more Kindle related small talk. After a while we both took out our Kindles and started reading. Normally I like to know what people are reading, it might trigger a question and a renewed conversation. And it always adds to the character of a person that you are sitting next to.

But it is impossible to do this character-book association game with the Kindle, so I just asked politely what he was reading. He replied that he was immersed in Laurence Lessig’s last book (Lessig is one of the smartest open source thinker around), since he was interested in the limitation and disadvantages of copyright legislation. I expressed my admiration for Lessig and we continued reading both our Kindles. After a while he got up to go to the bathroom but he left his Kindle on his tray, facing my seat. Just looking at the open page on his Kindle, and reading a few sentences, it was easy to decipher that this was not one of Lessig’s book but a book about adolescent vampires and their challenging love lives (most likely one of the Twilight series). When he returned to his seat I was polite enough not to start a conversation about the challenges of blood thirsty vampires in sun trenched places like Arizona.

This episode triggered a brief research project over the last days. I was looking for differences in genre and “sophistication” of physically versus electronically sold books at Amazon. My hypothesis is that people feel freer to buy more books that don’t have any social currency value when they can buy a book electronically versus buying it in its physical form. The Kindle killed the signaling effect of intellectually challenging books, so quite a few people might think that they don’t have to pretend anymore. Unfortunately I was not able to get quantitative data validating or refuting my hypothesis but a brief survey in a circle of friends and colleagues confirmed my thinking. It is less about reading fewer intellectually challenging books but more about buying and enjoying books that have less perceived social value.

I will not claim that the Kindle is a culture destroying device, it rather spurred me to a new marketing idea that Amazon could use: “Kindle – Only you know what you are reading”. It could give a big boost for trashy novels of all genres.

13 Comments:

Blogger webjanet said...

Hilarious, Michael! Makes me think I actually DO need a Kindle, if only to pretend I'm reading something more intellectual than the latest Diana Gabaldon novel. Of course I would also argue that Kindle needs a fake 'screensaver' page I can activate when I set it down, so when the guy next to me on the plane looks over he won't see what I'm actually reading. Hmm. I might have to look into that...

7:44 PM  
Anonymous seslisohbet said...

Thank you for sharing a nice article.
Congratulations on your posts, not go from your site successful.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Judith Walton said...

Your site is amazing. I am very impressed to see this want to come back for visiting your site. Keep doing well as well as you can...

logo design agencies

3:40 AM  
Blogger Judith Walton said...

There are thousands of blogs and websites providing the same nature of information again and again, I guess they copy it from one another. Anyhow, the piece of information you have provided is something different and unique. Keep up the good work.

professional logo design

2:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good Post!
You might like to try the following link. It provides guidance, with worked examples, on understanding what the examiner seeks and writing in an academic manner. If in doubt can always ask tutors whether it's advice applies in your discipline and institution.
Essay

1:47 AM  
Blogger MIKE STAR said...

I trusted you guys and you provided me with the best result. In the future will commence several of projects with you guys and I am sure that you will fulfill our all requirements. Cheap Logo Design have won our satisfaction level and further we will surely work with you.

3:21 AM  
Blogger meet and greet car parking said...


I am glad to see the information provided by the author .Generally I do not post on articles, but I would like to say that this blog really forced me to do so! Thanks, really nice blog.
meet and greet car parking

3:36 AM  
Blogger Ski Holidays said...


This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.
Ski Holidays

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your marketinggeek.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://autopilot-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend George

11:43 AM  
Anonymous dissertation proposal said...

Thank you for sharing this information, The information was very helpful and saved a lot of my time, Thank you for providing this information

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I appreciate you sharing this blog post.Really looking forward to read more. Great.

Web Design In Usa

12:36 AM  
Blogger John said...

hollister clothing
kobe shoes
fitflop clearance
uggs on sale
coach factory outlet online
giuseppe zanotti
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet stores
burberry outlet online
michael kors outlet
beats by dr dre
uggs on sale
michael kors outlet
toms wedges
louis vuitton purses
christian louboutin shoes
ugg boots for women
hollister clothing
ray-ban sunglasses
ugg sale
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
nike roshe run women
uggs outlet
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
coach factory outlet online
oakley outlet
swarovski crystal
nfl jerseys
louis vuitton bags
cheap air max
celine handbags
cheap nfl jerseys
hollister kids
coach outlet store online
gucci outlet
20151231yuanyuan

7:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nike free run
toms shoes
jordan 8s
michael kors outlet
true religion
gucci handbags
nike air huarache
ray-ban sunglasses
celine
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton handbags
lebron james shoes 12
adidas shoes
jordans
adidas ultra boost
coach outlet online
replica watches for sale
michael kors outlet online
gucci outlet
christian louboutin
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch sale
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton handbags
cheap oakley sunglasses
kobe shoes 11
coach outlet
nike air jordan
rolex watches
louis vuitton outlet
polo ralph shirts
20167.6wengdongdong

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home